Annual ranking of ‘Highly Cited Researchers’ by the Web of Science Group published as an indicator for outstanding research / University of Cologne represented by three biologists and five medical researchers, five of the researchers are at CECAD
The University of Cologne is once again represented in the international ranking ‘Highly Cited Researchers’, which is published annually by Clarivate Analytics based on information from the publication database ‘Web of Science’. Scientists on this list are among the world's most influential one percent of their field – measured by how often their scientific publications have been cited by their peers over the last ten years (2012–2022).
This year, a total of eight UoC scientists made the list - five of the researchers are at CECAD.
The eight most highly cited researchers from the University of Cologne are:
- Professor Dr Jens C. Brüning, Centre for Endocrinology, Diabetology and Preventive Medicine at University Hospital Cologne; Director of the Max Planck Institute for Metabolism Research; Research Group Leader at the CECAD Cluster of Excellence for Aging Research and the Center for Molecular Medicine Cologne (CMMC). Main research area: metabolism research
- Professor Dr Oliver A. Cornely, Internal Medicine; Translational Research Chair at the CECAD Cluster of Excellence in Aging Research, Academic Director of the Center for Clinical Trials Cologne. Main research areas: clinical infectiology, invasive fungal diseases, aging research
- Prof Dr Christian Frezza, Alexander von Humboldt Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, Research Group Leader at the Cluster of Excellence for Aging Research CECAD. Main research area: Metabolism and cancer research
- Professor Dr Michael Hallek, Internal Medicine; Director of the Center for Integrated Oncology (CIO); Research Group Leader at the Center for Molecular Medicine Cologne (CMMC) and CECAD. Main research area: leukaemia
- Professor Dr Florian Klein, Virology; Director of the Institute of Virology, also conducts research at the CMMC. Main research areas: development of antibodies directed against viruses, HIV
- Professor Dr Jacques F. Meis, Internal Medicine; CECAD. Main research areas: translational research / transfer of basic research for implementation in promising clinical projects, invasive fungal diseases
- Professor Dr Jane E. Parker, Biology; Associate Professorship at the Institute of Genetics; Research Group Leader at the Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research; CEPLAS Cluster of Excellence on Plant Sciences. Main research areas: activation and control of plant immune reactions, interaction of plants and microbes
- Professor Dr Bart P.H.J. Thomma, Biology; Alexander von Humboldt Professor at the Institute of Plant Sciences; CEPLAS Cluster of Excellence on Plant Sciences. Main research areas: phytopathology, interaction of microbes with other organisms
“I would like to thank the seven top scientists and express my appreciation for their work in their fields,” said Professor Dr Joybrato Mukherjee, Rector of the University of Cologne.
In total, this year’s international list of ‘Highly Cited Researchers’ includes approximately 6,900 scholars and scientists, including 336 from Germany. Particularly important is that their work should have an impact across different academic disciplines.
Press and Communications Team:
+49 221 470 2356
CECAD Public Relations Officer
+49 221 478 84043
+49 160 8879816
Press Spokesperson: Dr Elisabeth Hoffmann – email@example.com